11.16.2009

Change the Station PLEASE!!!!

Ok, anyone who knows me knows that I like r&b and hip hop. I have listened to these genres nearly exclusively for the past 15 years or so. But it is getting to the point where enough is enough! What has happened to my music? and what has happened to my radio station?

At first I thought maybe...just maybe, it was because I was getting older but what I do know is that I can't take most of what hits the airwaves these days. I am a lyrical person. I enjoy the cleverness hidden inbetween lines and the medaphors and rhyming. I also like intelligence and people who deliver some sort of message or at the very least speak with common sense.

Remember Nas "If I ruled the world" and "I can?" Now he speaks with intelligence. Jay Z, LL cool J, DMX...you could always feel them. Even the main stream stuff. It was about a little more than sex, money and cars. And when they did talk about those things it was a LITTLE bit more descret than it is now...I think??? Again, maybe I am just getting old. All I know for sure is I can't listen to my radio station with my kids in the car anymore. Every other song is about sex in the most vulgar ways possible. There are no clever medaphors anymore. Now they just lay it all on the table and I find most of it rather disturbing. Not to mention the way these guys degrade women and the way women will scream out "ohhh thats my jam", when they hear it in a club. You look like an idiot dancing to half of these lyrics....seriously.

I for one am not supporting this garbage. Make real music. Put thought behind your words. Speak what you believe in and not whatever the industry says you have to in order to sell. Stop selling your soul to the devil. Unless of course that is what you believe and all you stand for money and sex, in which case I beg of you to please step away from the microphone and pick up a book and grab yourself some education.

No comments:

Post a Comment