11.04.2009

You have 99 Problems? Too bad!

I went to see my Doctor today. No, I do not have H1N1. No, I was not trying to get the vaccine. Just wanted to check in with my doctor, bring up any concerns and possibly soak up some advice. I have been going to my Doctor for 11 years and I have to say she is not like your everyday average doctor. She truly cares about her patients and will go above and beyond to make sure that we are looked after properly. When I was pregnant and suffering extreme morning sickness, we had no benefits. The medicine to aid with morning sickness was $100 a bottle. After the first bottle I told her I just couldn't afford to buy anymore. She left the room and came back with money and told me to go get the medicine because I needed it. This is just one example of how caring she really is.

Anyway, I was waiting in the examination room and noticed a sign that read "only 2 problems per visit. If you have additional problems make another appointment" I started counting to myself and realized I had 4 things I wanted to discuss. I kind of giggled inside because I knew there was no way she would tell me "sorry that is all for today, if you have any more problems make another appointment" And she didn't say that at all. Instead she went through my concerns in great detail and started asking about the kids and life in general.

Now although this policy isn't exactly being followed, the fact that it exists does show that there is a problem within our healthcare system. It's great that we can go to our doctors whenever we need to, free of charge, but that too comes with a cost. For one thing getting in to see your doctor is not easy. Actually I never see my doctor when I am sick, only when I book in advance for other things. When I am sick I have to go to the walk in clinic to be seen right away. This is all because the doctors are so busy and have too many patients, and it's getting so bad that they now have to limit the number of concerns you are allowed to have about your health per visit.

I just feel that health related problems often link to one another and find the idea of limiting a patients concerns to only two problems lowers the quality of health care that individual receives. I hope my doctor never actually enforces that policy with me or any of her patients. Do any of your Doctors have a policy similar to this?

No comments:

Post a Comment