7.12.2014

Outdoor Movie Night

I don't know about you, but I like planning parties.  Usually they are to celebrate my children's birthdays. Occasionally, we have a large number of people over for a BBQ or something, but not too often.

This summer I wanted to host something different.  Something unique.

Well this idea was a hit; an outdoor movie night.  I realize I didn't invent this concept but I thought I'd share what I put together anyway.

Guests

We let the kids invite some neighbourhood kids and their families.  I invited some friends of ours and their families.  The key phrase here is "and their families" because I wanted to provide an opportunity for parents to spend some time making memories with their children.

Guests enjoying the movie


The Movie

We chose to watch The Lego Movie because we have two boys that love that movie and many of the guests also love that movie.  Plus it was a fairly recent family friendly movie.  Everyone had already seen it, but everyone was excited to watch it again in this setting.

The Technical Stuff

We have a projector so that part was easy.  My neighbour had a projector screen and he attached it to a wooden stand that he whipped together for us. It was much better than the cardboard I wrapped a white sheet around before I knew he owned a screen.

My husband hooked up the surround sound speakers to our DVD player and it was very loud.

The screen and stand, as well as the sign I made


Logistics

Everything was set up right on our driveway.  We asked guests to bring their own chairs and blankets since sometimes it's cold at night.  Guests arrived around 9:30 pm and the movie started at 10:00 pm.

Snacks, Snacks, and More Snacks

I wanted to make things extra fun by providing lots of awesome and authentic snack items, displayed in fun and functional ways.  We had several children with peanut allergies so all snacks were peanut free.  Here is what I came up with. 

Full size chocolate bars displayed in a wire bread basket

Full size, retro boxes of candy displayed in a basket tray

A variety of popcorn seasonings displayed in a box hidden by the bandana


Cardboard popcorn boxes with each person's name on it displayed in a basket 
chest with a bandana for added decoration.  I displayed the straws in a mason jar 
and tied checkered ribbon on it.

The completed concession buffet table. Popcorn is in the yellow tubs and I used 
mustard dispensers for the melted butter. There was also a cooler of drinks on 
the ground at the end of the table

The table without the popcorn or butter added yet, so you can see it in daylight


Overall, this get together was fabulous.  Everyone had a great time and I know it was an experience that will be talked about for a long time.  If you are looking for a unique way to enjoy summer with friends and have a projector handy, I highly recommend an outdoor movie night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment